I’m really looking forward to this year’s Orvis Saltwater Fly Fishing Festival, taking place from Thursday 3rd to Sunday 6th September in Chichester Harbour and Hayling Island. Orvis’ commitment to helping us all enjoy the outdoors naturally extends to saltwater fly fishing. This is why the event is aimed at people with all standards of fly-fishing ability, to encourage everyone to participate in a sport we all love.
Tickets cost £95 for the full schedule and competition, including entry into the special clinics, a goody bag, the welcome evening at Orvis Chichester on Thursday 3rd and film screening evening on Friday 4th. Entry to just the Saturday/Sunday competition and prize-giving will cost £70.
The competition will begin on Saturday 5th for a full day’s fishing followed by a half-day on Sunday 6th before the prize giving in the afternoon. There will be four Orvis Saltwater Guides for the duration of the festival. This includes myself, Colin Macleod, Philip Spratt and Michael Rescorle. We will be providing assistance to competitors as well as giving our own personal insight and tips in the pre-event days. Phillip and I will be on allocated beaches to assist competitors over the two days.
The key sporting species are bass and mullet and there will be advice given on locations for success. Tactics for the other species that inhabit the south coast of England will also be shared, including black bream, flounder, garfish, mackerel, and pollock.
A full timetable and welcome pack will be provided ahead of the festival to attendees via email.
Orvis has a packed competitor itinerary planned:
Thursday 3rd September
- Evening Welcome Drinks and Nibbles at Orvis Chichester (South Street, Chichester)
- Short Orvis Film in the private room at the Chichester store
- Intro to Saltwater Fly Fishing Festival and the Guides – Neville Broad, Phil Spratt, Colin Macleod and Michael Rescorle
- Confirmation of rules and regulations, approved fishing zones, catch and release
- Information on scoring and logging scores
Friday 4th September
- ‘Mullet Masterclass’ with Colin Macleod
- Saltwater Fly-Fishing Tackle Talk.
- Completion clinic with Saltwater Guides Colin Macleod, Neville Broad, Phil Spratt and Michael Rescorle on the beach.
- A welcome Chilgrove Gin and tonic and Orvis film
- Competition Rules & Regulations’
- Dinner (cost not included in ticket)
Saturday 5th September
- Competition 7am to 4pm
- Non Competitor Itinerary to be announced
- Saturday Evening Social – Jubilee Hall, Chichester. Music from The Folly Brothers. Bar and food available at the venue (cost not included in ticket).
Sunday 6th September
- Half Day Competition – 7am to 12:45pm
- Results gathered at 1:30pm with last sheet handed in by 1:45pm
- Prize-giving at Jubilee Hall, Chichester
- Depart around 3pm
All fishing is catch and release. Fish must be photographed with a witness against an official measure. Measures will be provided by Orvis at the start of the competition.
The are some great prizes to win at this year’s festival, including some elite Orvis rods. For example the winner of the ‘Longest Bass’, will receive an 8 weight Helios 3 fly rod and the ‘Longest Mullet’ category winner will win a Recon fly rod. Other competition categories include, ‘Longest Other Species’, ‘Most Number of Species’, ‘Junior Angler’ and ‘Orvis Award for Most Sporting Fisherman’ as well as prizes for Runner’s Up across the first four categories.
The prize-giving ceremony will take place at 2.45pm at the Jubilee Hall in Chichester.
For more information, and entering please go to https://www.orvis.co.uk/saltwater-fly-fishing-festival
For further enquiries please email Emma Sandham @ Zambuni – email firstname.lastname@example.org
On behalf of the organisers and Guides, we all very much look forward to meeting you in Chichester this September.